Specializations > Semantics and Pragmatics

Deixis: here, there, over-there

(1/2) > >>

I learned from our prof that some languages have a complex deixis system, different from Even English. In some languages there are four forms:

1. here < proximal?
2. there < sorta mid ?
3. over there < distal ?
4. xxx << But how is this forth form called/translated in linguistics?

Is it like here/there/yon/yonder?

Hmm. I'm not sure from that little information. There are MANY deistic systems out there. Usually it's best to consider locations. Here, for example, maybe you mean: me, you, them, elsewhere?

well, it could also be: this.guy, that.guy, yon.guy, yonder.guy -- but mainly for places: here, there, yon, yonder. The latter distinction used to exist in old English, no?

I am not familiar with the yon/yonder distinction or, more importantly, whether that is what your instructor was discussing.

Well, it wasn't my instructor so much as I read it here:
Under "spatial deixis"

--- Quote ---Many languages, however, may  display a two-term or three-term positional system, designating locations in space with  reference to the position of the Speaker (cq. ‘this’=near the Speaker, versus ‘that’=near  the Hearer and/or ‘yonder’=not-near any of the Speech participants)
--- End quote ---

I think I found a language with four terms. Yerp! This can't be so strange, can it?


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version