Author Topic: The D+Y sound: I need your help  (Read 1540 times)

Offline zoltankr

  • Jr. Linguist
  • **
  • Posts: 15
The D+Y sound: I need your help
« on: February 06, 2015, 05:56:51 AM »
Hi, when Americans pronounce the phrase: "I need your help" it sounds like they connect 'need' and 'you' together with a dʒ as in joke [dʒoʊk] sound. Something like this: [ aɪ nidʒyər ˈhɛlp]. Am I right? Is it the way they pronounce it? I think the word "help" gets the most stress. I'm not sure about the word "need", though. Does the word "need" gets any stress? I would be grateful for any suggestion.

Offline Daniel

  • Administrator
  • Experienced Linguist
  • *****
  • Posts: 1798
  • Country: us
    • English
Re: The D+Y sound: I need your help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:07:19 AM »
"Howdja do that?"
"Whacha doing?"

Yes, this is very common, in fast/connected speech.

The process is called palatalization when <y> [j] follows (especially) [t,d], resulting in a palato-alveolar affricate [tʃ,dʒ].
Welcome to Linguist Forum! If you have any questions, please ask.