Linguist Forum

Specializations => Phonetics and Phonology => Topic started by: dalila on December 02, 2017, 03:06:16 AM

Title: Glottal vs glottalized variants of (t)
Post by: dalila on December 02, 2017, 03:06:16 AM
Hello everyone, I was writing my dissertation on the glottal stop and I found this in a paper: "There is a slight tendency for young females to favour glottal (as opposed to glottalized) variants of (t)".
So my question is : what is the difference between the terms glottal and glottalized?
Title: Re: Glottal vs glottalized variants of (t)
Post by: Daniel on December 02, 2017, 12:31:52 PM
Usage may vary, but typically when contrasted in phonetics the type "glottal" (or "palatal", "labial", etc.) refers to the main articulation, versus the modifier type "glottalized" (or "palatalized", "labialized", etc.) referring to a modification and/or secondary articulation. (Another possibility, but probably not what is going on here is that "glottal" refers to something phonemic, or at least an "important" allophone, while "glottalized" refers to some (minor?) phonetic variant. That usage might be more common for "palatal[ized]" though. And finally, these terms may also be used diachronically to refer to, e.g., palatalization as a process in the development of later palatal sounds, but that also doesn't seem to be what's going on here.)

In this case, my guess would be that the "glottal T" is really just a glottal stop, but that the "glottalized T" is an alveolar articulation [t] plus glottal secondary articulation (e.g., ejective or similar). But it's hard to be sure exactly what they mean because usage of these terms does vary.

All I can be relatively confident about is that "glottal" describes a more complete/basic/general property of a sound whereas "glottalized" describes a modification/variant/secondary articulation of another sound. And I can only be confident about that because they use the terms contrastively-- other authors who do not use both in contrast to one another might actually use either term to refer to either.

In short, read usage like that very carefully and try to understand what they mean from context. You're right to ask this question, and if you have difficulty understanding it in the original source you might even try to contact the authors to clarify it, because these terms are not always used consistently. You might also get a hint from related research (do they cite another author who uses these terms) in traditional usage for that particular sub-field (or language area).
Title: Re: Glottal vs glottalized variants of (t)
Post by: dalila on December 05, 2017, 04:26:24 AM
I found this in the paper, so you were right  ;D