Author Topic: Dangling  (Read 5074 times)

Offline cavertronix

  • Jr. Linguist
  • **
  • Posts: 13
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:18:27 AM »
How do I identify dangling particles?

Offline Daniel

  • Administrator
  • Experienced Linguist
  • *****
  • Posts: 2043
  • Country: us
    • English
Re: Dangling
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »
What's a dangling particle? Do you mean dangling participle, as in a dangling modifier? Or maybe a particle used similarly?

See these links:

Be aware though that "dangling" is a matter of style rather than syntax in the strict sense of linguistic research. So there may not be an exact/consistent answer for it.

In short, a dangling modifier is one that is far away from the thing it modifies:

Standing in the room, I saw him over there.
If he is the one standing in the room, that is dangling, because it is too far removed.

But since it's a question of style (and not necessarily an error or really a grammatical problem, just potentially confusing!), "identifying" them is just a matter of judgment.
Welcome to Linguist Forum! If you have any questions, please ask.